SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maro_gw

My Front Yard Again

maro
17 years ago

Okay, heres my long-promised set of absolutely stupendous photos. I almost chickened out. These show what has been done and what has NOT been done to my front yard since I posted my curve questions 18 months ago. (I move slow.)

First, here is the url to the Curvy Lines thread of Nov. 2005

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg111350158877.html

Here are two pictures from Fall 2005:

{{gwi:18860}} {{gwi:18861}}

I did some things with the comments offered. I put in a path extension to the "lawn." I took out some dogwoods and then took out a lot of other stuff too, and I kept the curve.

Here are a couple of pictures from Fall 2006, one year later: I like the look that is developing.

{{gwi:18862}} {{gwi:18863}}

One from January 2007. . . Empty, barren . . :) the remaining vine maple is gone. Didn't like it. Path to be 2' squares and arranged maybe as in the plan view.

{{gwi:18864}}

. . . and one from yesterday: The blue line is the actual property line.

{{gwi:18865}}

I tried using a grid that John Brookes talks about, as recommended by someone in a recent thread. I used the entry space as the size of the grid squares  he says to pick some important element and use that as the basis for your grid. When I put the grid on my plan view drawing, SOMETHING HAPPENED to my perception. Brookes says that the grid sets the scale for the plan. I wish I could say that the grid was THE answer to all my problems, but it WAS helpful. Not to set something in every square, but to help place things.

Plan view with grid:

{{gwi:18866}}

In your opinion(s), is this plan OK? Fantastic? :) What more can I tell you? Ground covers? Small

We have new in-your-face construction across the street, so weÂd like to screen that out. The screen is the blue squiggley line. The sun would still shine across the garden.

{{gwi:18867}}

The present curve (brown line) touches the actual property line. IÂd like to move the curve back a few feet from the line. IÂd like to take the time then to improve the little wall. Or, use small boulders.

The green circles are established plants at their current size. The blue circle could be garrya elliptica ÂJames Roof.Â

Color is a very important part of my plan. We painted our house this exact shade of grey, hint of olive, and used tan windows and gutters, with a darker trim paint. The roof has to wait another year. I like the foliage colors of grey-green/dark green/soft red, not much blue, no yellow-green. White, pale lavender, dusty red flowers. Maybe helleborus ÂIvory Prince would be right.

Ground covers (they're really there and spreading) are mostly kinnikinnick 'Massachussetts,' woolly and 'Elfin' thymes.

I want to FINISH this and get out in the back yard!

If you got this far, thank you for reading, and any opinions at all will be more than welcome.

Maro

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor