SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcweston

growing sweet potatoe slips

rcweston
12 years ago

Have I planted it upside down?

I have an itch to grow sweet potatoes this year. I know others in the area have grown them and have even started their own slips. I purchased a very small potato last fall to use this spring. After reading lots of advice on this web from others, I decided to try the tooth pick and water method. Its fun to be able to watch the progress and growth. I now have three areas of the sweet potato that have developed sprouts about 2-3 inches long, but no roots!

Yesterday, I found another post that had pictures of a great looking potato with multiple shoots. The shoots originated on top of the potato (the rounded end) and the roots were in the water on the bottom.(at the pointy end)

Mine is oriented the same way with the pointed end down, but all the shoots are coming from under the water and bending upward and out of the water.

The portion on top out of the water looks just as it did the day I purchased it in the store. completely bare! Absolutely no roots anywhere in or out of the water!

Have I tried to root this thing upside down, or is there an up side and a down side?

One other difference, the sprouts are purple, the leaves are purple! Nothing green whatsoever! Could this be right?

Any advice on what to do next will be appreciated. Until then, I'll just have to look at it upside down!

RC

Comments (6)