SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakiris

Al's potting mixes - another 'will this work' post

oakiris
12 years ago

Gritty Mix:

I was planning to use NAPA Floor Dry as a substitute for Turface as I was unable to find Turface locally. I then found a product called Amturf Ultra Soil Conditioner at a nursery I went to on Sunday. It looked somewhat like the pictures of the Turface I had seen on line, but there was no info on the bag as to what it was made of, nor was there anything on their web site with this info.

I called Amturf this morning. The person I spoke with knew nothing about the product, other than that it was all natural, and she didn't really understand why I needed to know, but she checked with someone who told her it was made of "92% bentonite and 8% quartz." So, it is a mostly clay product and, as it is recommended for use in water gardens and ponds, I "ASSUME" it will not break down in the soil.

Is there anyone here familiar with this product who can tell me if this would work? It is $5.99 for a 40 lb bag so certainly affordable!

5:1:1 Mix:

I had just about given up finding pine bark fines for the 5:1:1 mix and was going to just use the same fir bark that I was going to use for the gritty mix, but then, at the same nursery that carries the Amturf, I found a product by Permagreen called "Bark Mulch." There is nothing on the bag to indicated what type of bark it is, but it looked like the right thing - partially composted, small pieces - so I bought a bag. I later found the exact same thing at a Lowes - for about $2 cheaper, of course - though I hadn't seen it there before, and they had a price sign listing it as pine bark. Anyway, I called Permagreen and they confirmed that it was composted pine bark. Here are a couple of (rather poor) pictures of it:
{{gwi:29427}}From Bark Mulch
{{gwi:29428}}From Bark Mulch

Will that work?

Holly

Comments (11)