SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trunorth7

Gritty Mix for plunged pots? Al, what do you think?

TruNorth7
11 years ago

Al, Container Gardener Extraordinaire and others who can help!:

My plumeria are plunged in pots into a raised bed up against my house. Currently they are in a mix of perlite and cactus soil (which has many small particles so it has a significant PWT, right?). From reading "Container Soils and Your Plants' Nutrition," I know that Gritty is not appropriate for in ground plants due to the Giant Wick that is Earth... but my plants are plunged 7-8 months out of the year. They live in my dining room over the winter (Sweetheart hates this).

The trees aren't dormant the entire time they are inside, so they do get some water. Would it be better to have them in Gritty due to the time they are "potted", or would I end up fighting a losing battle the better part of the year when they are plunged? Also, due to the holes drilled in the sides of the pots to let the roots roam the raised bed, regular garden soil will migrate into the pot, I assume.

But, the roots have access to the bed outside their pot, so I won't need to worry so much about the wicking inside the pot, since they'll have access to surrounding soil... should this factor be considered?

The plants are doing quite well, but I have some I need to re-pot now (the soil they came in is terrible), so I'm deciding if I should buy enough Gritty ingredients to re-pot the rest early next year.

Thanks!!!

Rachel

Comments (7)