SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapphires3

Kale and Collards growing again

sapphires3
14 years ago

I had read in some book last year that Kale and Collards can be harvested all winter - that they would not put on more growth, but if you left them alone, they could be harvested, even if the leaves were frozen solid.

Seed being cheap and all, I planted more than I needed to try this out. I harvested straight through december, but then the leaves started feeling a bit dry and leathery to us, so we stopped eating them, just left the plants standing there.

Then we had feet and feet of snow.

These last few warm days we have had, I went out to the garden, and on the Kale, a lot of the lower leaves had started to rot where they connect to the main stalk, but once I pulled them off, I saw that new leaves were starting to grow out of the stalk - lower down from the spots that I had harvested leaves earlier in the season, if that makes sense.

There is also new top growth comping up.

Collards - the plants were heavily eaten by deer right as the snow started to melt, and a TON of new top growth is coming up there. I pulled off any leaves that were soft, like the kale, and I appear to have some very healthy greens growing right now.

They are safe to eat when they get going again, right? I can't find the book that I had found the information about eating them through the winter, and I wanted to make sure that they don't undergo some harmful change from the freeze. . . They did taste very sweet in December, but I think I read that they are supposed to sweeten after a freeze. . . ?

Thanks - looking forward to a plate full of greens early this year!

Comments (8)