SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Help with shrub selection, please.

wish2okc
17 years ago

I'd like to ask for help landscaping the front of my house. We moved in at the end of the summer and as you can see, the front is pretty bare. The builder planted Little Henry Virginia Sweetspires at either end of the house. The front walk is lined with Magic Carpet spirea. In the center of that planting area is a dwarf crabapple called Lolliop. The foundation portion of that area is planted with Kaempo azaleas. To the right of the front walk, there is another spirea with three Bowl of Beauty peonies under the window. The house has looked so barren and naked all winter. I think I need evergreens, but I don't want to look like every other house in the world. I can't remember if a low-slung house like mine is supposed to have tall things at the end or not. I know I don't want pointy arborvitaes at each end, although I really like almost all arborvitaes and would like to use some somewhere in my yard. I like mixed plantings and would like to incorporate some blooming shrubs and bird friendly plantings as well. Would really appreciate some suggestions. I live in zone 6, Evansville, Indiana and my house faces directly south. The digging I've done in my walkway planting area revealed heavy clay. Thanks in advance for your help. I've attempted to post a link to my photo.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/gal030921479193.html

Comments (10)