SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

Good Advice for Small Yards

ironbelly1
17 years ago

Although I often find This Old House Magazine often lacking in accuracy and often offering questionable advice, it does occasionally present decent design advice on several levels. The current issue (April 2007) offers coherent landscape design advice from a Rye, New York landscape architect, Christopher J. Cohan. Quoting Mr. Cohan from the article, "Small Yard, Big Impact":

"As a landscape design architect, I often feel that small properties suffer from not-so-benign neglect, with lawn carpeting nearly every square inch of ground except where plantings are crowded up against the house  all in the hope that open space will make the yard feel larger. But just the opposite is true. If you want to create a feeling of expansiveness where space is at a premium, youÂre better off carving out distinct garden areas and outdoor rooms.  Not only do the "rooms" I designed make the yard more functional, they keep from revealing the whole place at once, so thereÂs a wonderful sense of discovery as you move through them.

The article is well-written and is amply augmented by cogent, supporting photos  something lacking in far too many magazine articles. Although I would generally be careful of blindly accepting this magazineÂs advice carte blanche, (A different article states that Big Bluestem Grass only grows to 3 feet high  Get real!) this particular article seems to offer potential insight and inspiration to those who live on smaller properties like the authorÂs 60 X 100 lot.

IronBelly

Comments (4)