SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grass2longinoh

Zero-Turn or Traditional Mower for small but 'complicated' yard

grass2longinoh
13 years ago

I am looking to buy my first riding lawn mower. My current push mower is heavy (self propelled with a broken transmission so I just push it) and slow to cut with. My yard is just a bit too big to want to mow this way so I end up not doing it as often as I should.

My yard is about 3/4 of an acre so its not terribly big, but it is not a big flat expanse of grass. I have a number of trees, and a couple of somewhat steep grades to contend with, so there are not a lot of large areas where I can just cut on through without turning.

I am debating if its better to go with a cheaper riding tractor like the Craftsman YT 4000 (42" 24 hp B&S 2-cyl) for $1600, or if I would find it easier to mow with something like the Craftsman 28986 (42" 21 hp B&S 1-cyl), which is a zero-turn radius mower.

I do not have any special love for craftsman, it just seems that they have some decent deals (quality vs. price) on their tractors. If I am off track here feel free to let me know.

One concern I have is the fact that the more expensive Z-turn mower is only a one-cylinder engine. I have been reading up on mowers for a couple days now (by no means an expert obviously) and heard a lot of people saying these are noisier and cause more vibrations. This seems obvious, but my question is how bad is it really? Should I be concerned about this? Will it overly affect engine life?

I really do not want to go much above $2500 at this time for a lawn mower, but could go a BIT higher if there were a good reason to. I seem to wind up on this forum a lot in my internet travels, so I was hoping someone out there would have some good advice for me. Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions