SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

small tree for small yard?

kimcoco
14 years ago

What is the true definition of a patio tree? My own idea of a "patio tree" is maybe 15 feet in height, and something that doesn't sucker or uproot patio bricks, though I've seen larger trees advertised as "patio" trees, which throws me off.

I want an "ornamental" canopy tree for a small planting space, I will be planting this approx. 6 feet from the corner of my garage, in full to most sun.

1. I have rescue dogs, so poisonous fruit is out of the question. I prefer something that's not messy (like crabapples). Edible berries that attract wildlife is ok (provided most berries are taken by the birds). I have feeders to attract wildlife to my yard.

2. Provides dappled shade (preferred), NOT full shade, though a smaller tree should not be too much of a concern.

3. 10-15' in height with similar span/canopy is ideal, with top growth or something that can be trimmed up so that I don't have to duck when mowing the lawn. Of course, nothing that suckers.

4. Multi season interest would be nice, spring flowers perhaps. Yellow or white flowering are my favorite. Ideally, this will be placed as a focal point in my yard, so seasonal interest is a plus.

I know nothing about the following trees, but listed are those I came up with in my own research:

Eastern Redbud - this came up in my search as ideal for small spaces, tight spots, but I also read it can get up to 50' in height, which seems contradictory to me. Pros - nice fall color and pink spring blooms.

Cornus Mas aka Cornelian Cherry Dogwood - Nice yellow spring blooms. Will berries harm my dogs? They will likely sample any berries that drop.

Magnolia x Jane - cons - doesn't attract wildlife, no multi seasonal interest????? pros - Nice smaller size 10-15' height, ideal for small space. My grandma had a magnolia tree in her yard, and it was always loaded with earwigs. Is this a common pest for the tree? She lived by the lake, not sure if that played a role.

What about other flowering dogwoods for my zone? Pros? Cons? I read that many people have difficulty keeping them alive in zone 5....white flowering dogwoods are so pretty.

Suggestions and feedback welcome.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus