SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephira_gw

Smallest possible container for Roma tomatos??

sephira
18 years ago

I had to restart my tomatos a few days ago because my earlier attempt failed -- the sun that I depended on never materialized, and they got up about 4" tall and about as big around as a piece of string, then just keeled over.

Anyway, after I did what replanting I intended to do and went about the rest of my morning, the packets of left over seeds wormed their way out of my pocket. Of course, they all got rained on and soaked through before I found them. So, now, rather than just throwing them away, I'm going to try planting them. The other varieties didn't have enough seed left for this to be a problem, but the Romas. Oh, my, the Romas........ I have about a 100 more seeds left, and if even only half of them sprout, it's a daunting number!

Keeping in mind that it takes a heck of a lot of soil to fill a big container, and that many containers will take up a lot of room, even if they aren't very big, what is the smallest container I can get away with planting them in?

Also, a while back, I saw an ad for some sort of gizmo that lets you grow tomatos upside down. I don't remember anything about it except it was like a green cylinder and it said plant two tomatos in it and hang it up. Is this something I could do with Romas? If so, how could I cobble up a suitable substitute without buying the real thing?

Comments (3)