SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kingstable

What would you do with a flat blank slate?

KingsTable
13 years ago

There is an empty section of yard to the side of our home that is never used. It's approximately 145'x132' and is a flat blank slate. So creative people, gardeners, and designers: What would you do with it...on a shoestring budget?

Wildflowers are allowed to grow through Spring, and then my husband mows it when it gets out of hand. I've gotten permission to do whatever I want with this section, as long as there's not a bunch of stuff he has to mow around. I suppose that means a short groundcover or some type of walkway around other plantings or structures.

Aside from the budget, the skies the limit! I love ideas that push past "normal," but also don't won't high-maintenance. I'm in zone 7 with hot, humid summers and mildly cool winters with the occasional snow. I want an area with interesting colors and textures all year instead of just in the "growing season."

As for the area, it's in front of an unsightly dirt plot that's tilled for the vegetable garden and goes to the road. On both sides of the area are trees - one side is a wooded area and small trench. The other side is a line of baby fruit trees. (I know a picture would be helpful, but I'm still looking for my poor lost camera.)

I have a short metal table (~1.5' high and 3' long) and a large wooden arch (10'x10') currently in storage that I'd love to include. All I really know though is that I want a place to sit somewhere.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus