SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason7655

Starting first set of seeds indoors

jason7655
15 years ago

Need a little advice.

Ok, for now I'm staying with my 2 4x8 SFG setup but I may add another 4x8 later.

I added cow manure and peat moss to it today and mixed it up.

I went and bought some seeds today so I could begin the process of starting my own seed. Last year I bought transplants and started carrots, peas and beans staight in the ground. The sugar snap peas were the only huge success.

I have never started seeds indoors so I want to know things that I should avoid.

For example, I had intended on starting these Short n' Sweet Carrots indoors but then I read that they don't transplant well so I guess I'm not supposed to do that. The problem is that I planted over 50 carrots last year direct in ground and didn't have a single one come up.

So here's what I have to choose from to plant in the 72-cell greenhouse kit I bought from burpee.

Onion - Golden Sweet Hybrid (I think it's too early for this as it says to wait until last frost)

Onion - Evergreen Long While Bunching

I couldn't find cabbage so I got 5 different packets of lettuce:

Vivian

Iceberg A

Little Caesar

Burpee Bibb

Four Seasons

I also have sugar snap but they are going straight into the ground here before too long.

Is it safe to say that the Evergreen onion and lettuce are the only ones to start indoors right now.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations