SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_rumphius_rules

Display Garden--Final update before the pictures

ItÂs five days until the set up of the display garden for the flower show. Many things have mutated since my last postÂ

Today, in the frigid weather I went to two nurseries for last minute plants. I found some wonderful thingsÂin the middle of FebruaryÂand spent too much money. Some of what I bought today includes three Prunus mume ÂPeggy Clarke with tight buds that were yummy and a Chamaecyparis nookatensis ÂGreen Arrow that was just funny. I focused on evergreens to fill in gaps. Boy was it cold.

My fake mushrooms arrived. TheyÂll look okay when theyÂre installed and people are not too closeÂthe stems are made from pvc pipe. My son said they look like Smurf Shrooms so thatÂs good.

The side support walls that will be built out of upright logs are challenging. We need to have some kind of Âdeadman that will go into to sand to keep them from splaying out at the top. Speaking of sand, we decided to build a substructure of pallets to reduce the sand by 50%. It is likely to be frozen and when it thaws in the hall there will be water where we donÂt want it.

Now for tales from the dark side. No one can cut sod in this weather and itÂs way too expensive to truck it up from the south soooooo weÂre going to use synthetic. I have a collegue who installs high end synthetic golf greens, so heÂs agreed to help out with our lawn.

We werenÂt able to find the right size cedar for our bridge, so weÂre harvesting some hardwood from client properties and a local sawmill is making the boards for the bridge itself. I posted the drawings for that a while ago.

Last and not leastÂthe tornados in Florida eliminated that as a possibility for water plants so theyÂre being shipped from Texas.

Mahonias and Corylopsis are happily pushing bloom in my studio. Photos and promo materials have been ordered. Next week IÂll post some pix.

Comments (10)