SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crnagora95

This Year's Grow List

crnagora95
13 years ago

I finally finalized my list of vegetable varieties for my tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, melons and peppers. Here it is:

TOMATOES:

Beefsteak-

- Red Siberian Pole

- Brandywine

- Black from Tula

- Big Rainbow

- Costaluto Genovese

- German Head

- Yellow Brandywine

- Aunt Ginny�s Purple

- Chianti Rose

Regular-

- Stupice

- Cherokee Purple

- Japanese Black Trifile

- Bloody Butcher

- Mule Team

- Black Prince (container)

Cherry-

- "Weed" tomato (family heirloom acquired in a seed trade from Oklahoma, grows like a weed!) (container)

- Matt�s Wild Cherry (container)

- Blondkoptchen (container)

- Black Cherry (container)

Paste-

- De Baro Red

BELL PEPPERS:

- Quattro d� Asti Rosso

- California Wonder

- Sweet Banana

CUCUMBERS:

- Marketmore

- Telegraph Imp.

- Long Green Imp.

- True Lemon

SUMMER SQUASH:

- Costata Romanesco

- Dark Green

- Early Prolific Straightneck

MELONS:

- Charentais

- Minnesota Midget

There it is. I�m going crazy now that I still have three months till I can�t start planting my summer garden! But I guess my winter garden will have to help me with my addiction/hobby.

Anyone else got their list yet? I planted the tomato seeds yesterday, and the pepper seeds on the 18th. I'll plant the curburits in peat pots a few weeks before April 3th, two weeks after our last frost date.

Comments (11)

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    13 years ago

Somewhere around here I have it... can't find it though. Anyway, I think it had about 30 different veggies on it and a bunch of those have multiple cultivars, so maybe 43 different veggies? Well and of course there's the leftover seeds from last year, some of those will be coming out again... Yup, good thing we got a new house with LAND! Acres and acres of LAND! ;)

Anywho, it sounds like you sure like your tomatoes!

• gardenvt
    13 years ago

Blondkopfchen is a very large plant and produces very large trusses of tomatoes - as many as 200 per truss. they ripen over a long period. Put this one is a very large container - 15 gallon would be about right.

I noticed that you were thinking of putting plants with smaller tomatoes in containers. Remember that even though the fruit is small, that doesn't mean the plant is. My cherry tomatoes are huge - 8-12 feet tall and they need a lot of "leg room" as do plants like Black Prince and any tomato that isn't the patio type.

I started out growing my cherry tomatoes in 5 gal pots and the larger tomato bearing plants in bigger pots. At first glance, that makes sense but when you have all those sprawling vines all over, you have to realize the roots are pretty big, too. Now, I use 15 gal pots for all of my tomatoes.

I grew Lemon last year and lost that and my other cucumbers to the wilt - never had that problem before. It was good while it lasted. :-)

• Related Discussions

Tipped and Tailed and ready for the pot :)

Q

Comments (1)
    Annette, those are some good looking beans. They make me hungry just looking at them. Good luck on your beans. Luther
    ...See More

3rd year growing hots, can you help me with my growing list?

Q

Comments (12)
    @tsheets - I posted a few months ago on a couple of the different hab/fatali recipes we were fooling around with, including some cookies. Here's a link to that post: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0913133225559.html The recipes in that post use habs, but we mostly use fatalis in our desert dishes now, when we have them available. The absolute best thing we ever made with fatalis or habs were fatali-almond caramels. I haven't poste pics or recipes for that, but I will one of these days. We can only have them 2 or 3 times a year, because we eat all of them until they are gone, as soon as they're done, and that isn't good for the waistline.
    ...See More

My growing list this year

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree.. my Black Tulas are ahead of everything else, even the cherry tomatoes if you can imagine. Though I do not have a single ripe or even tinged colored tomato...all are robust, and GREEN, and im not that far from homegardenpa either, being on Long Island. Something else notable...Ive had zero issues this year with pests, but have had alot of trouble growing salad greens, of all things.
    ...See More

Recommended Dwarfs?

Q

Comments (3)
    Below I've linked toTania's superb website where you'll find a list of those varieties that have been released through 2013 for the Dwarf project . That's the clickable link. If you click on the ones listed seperately you should find comments from others as well as pictures. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Dwarf_Tomatoes The link above also fromTania's website lists all the Dwarf varieties she knows of if you want to see a more complete list. Hope that helps, Carolyn, and note that seed sources are given for the Dwarf project ones as well as many on the larger list. Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Project Varieties
    ...See More
  • crnagora95
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sunnibel7: I love 'um! If I could only grow one thing, it would be tomatoes.

gardenvt: Thanks for the advice. I was told that Black Prince was suitable for pots, but after looking up a picture of it, it probably wouldn't be. I have three 15 gallon pots, and 2 13 gallon pots I was going to use, but I am going to be on the lookout for bigger ones. I also remeasured my garden space and found I have eneough space for 3 cherry tomato plants in there, so only the Black Prince and "Weed" tomato will be in the containers. I had wilt last year too, lost every plant, but they were only a couple feet long, so I didn't get to try any cucumbers :( I rotated my garden again, so they are in new spot.

• gblack
    13 years ago

The Telegraph Improved did pretty well for me. I did have a few that were bitter, but the majority were perfect. I'd recommend the Japanese Long if you haven't tried it.

You'll probably be pretty pleased with that Minnesota Midget. I love mine. Super simple to tell when they're ready too. Orange tint and good separation from the vine. Once it gets cold you might have a few on the tail end of the harvest that look like orange balls and taste pretty nasty, but the rest of them will be very yummy!

• gblack
    13 years ago

Here's my grow list for the year:

Cucumbers:
    Early Russian Cucumber
    Long Anglais Cucumber
    Poona Kheera Cucumber
    Suyo Long Cucumber
    Uzbekski Cucumber
    Japanese Long Cucumber
    White Wonder Cucumber
    Richmond Green Apple Cucumber
    Telegraph Improved Cucumber

Peppers:
    Albino Bullnose Pepper
    Ashe County Pimiento
    Bulgarian Ratund Pepper
    Corno di Toro Giallo Pepper (Orange Toro)
    Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper
    Drop of Gold
    Emerald Giant Pepper
    Golden Marconi Pepper
    Jupiter
    King of the North Pepper
    La Rouge Royale Pepper
    Lipstick Pepper
    Paradicsom Alaku Sarga Szentes Pepper
    Quadrato D' Asti Giallo Pepper
    Red Bell (one of my own strains I'm working on)
    Spanish Mammoth (Doux D'Espagne)
    Yellow Monster Pepper

Toms:
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Tess's Land Race Currant Tomato
    Gold Medal Tomato
    Lucky Cross
    Black Cherry
    Yellow Brandywine
    Sungold Select II
    Woodle Orange
    Orange Icicle Tomato
    Orange Banana
    Golden Sunray
    Green Grape Tomato
    Black Icicle
    Cherokee Purple
    Ananas Noir
    Pineapple
    Aunt Ruby's German Green (maybe. Not decided yet)

Melons (including watermelon):
    Ali Baba Watermelon
    Amarillo Oro
    Banana Melon
    Black Diamond Yellow Flesh Watermelon
    Blacktail Mountain Watermelon
    Cantalope (strain I'm working on)
    Charentais Melon
    Charleston Grey Watermelon
    Congo Watermelon
    Crane Melon
    Cream of Saskatchewan Watermelon
    Desert King Watermelon
    Ginger's Pride Melon
    Golden Midget Watermelon
    Healy's Pride Melon
    Honey Dew (strain I'm working on)
    Jenny Lind Melon
    Katanya
    Minnesota Midget
    Orangeglo Watermelon
    Prescott Fond Blanc Melon
    Royal Golden Watermelon
    Thai Chatchai 185 Watermelon
    Tom Watson Watermelon
    Valencia Winter Melon
    Sweet Siberian
    Tendergold
    Early Hanover
    Noir de Carmes
    Petit Gris de Rennes

Misc:
    Red Wonder Wild Strawberry (and a few other varieties from last year)

Atlantic Giant Pumpkin
    Ping Tung Eggplant
    Casper Eggplant
    Rhubarb
    Zuchinni
    Purple of Sicily Cauliflower

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gblack: Dang! That's a lot of veggies! You sure love your melons. I love MN Midget too, a friend gave me one of hers last season. I literally sat down for five minutes just smelling it, it smelled amazing! The taste was great too.

• gblack
    13 years ago

I've got about 10,000 sqft I plant with fruit trees, grapes, brambles, and my garden. The large variety count is mostly because I'm still experimenting to see what I like. The bulk of what I grow each year are things I've not tried before.

The theory is that one day I will have grown enough of the easily available heirlooms to slow down to what I liked best, a few new varieties and whatever I'm trying to cross/improve/grow out.

And yes, I _LOVE_ melons. The MN Midget is really good, but I'm happy to be able to say that as good as it is, I've got some other varieties just as good :)

Me and my wife are a bit at odds on the smell of muskmelons though. I love the smell and she's always complaining around harvest time about how they "stink up the house". To each his own I suppose.

• dandirt
    13 years ago

I love vegetable gardening, flower gardening and birding. I have 20 hanging planters, three raised beds, a three-tier strawberry panter, a few larger pots and a fenced garden bed (to keep out my police dog). He likes to walk between the rows and watch me planting.

Last year, I had Charleston Gray and Sugar Baby melons, large Hale's Best Cantaloupe, Green Cantaloupe, Yellow Squash, Scallions, Strawberries, Blueberries, Hot Peppers, Sweet Peppers, Tomatoes and Cucumbers. I canned Peppers and Cukes and gave a lot to friends and neighbors. My Turnips did very good too. I love vegetables, fruits, stir frys and seafood. I enjoy cooking and trying different recipes but not to big on meats...maybe pork chops is one exception.

I plan to garden and hope the weather is favorable. I will be planting Butternut Squash, Zuchinni, Yellow Squash, Bush Beans, Okra, Turnips, Mustard, Collards, Beets, Onions, Charleston, Crimson and Sugar Baby Melons, Hale's Best Cantaloupe, Minn. Midget and Green Honeydew, Sweeter Yet, Armenian, Burpless and Yard Long Cucumber, Sumter, Muncher, and Carolina Cucumber, Black Krim, Japenese Trifele, Amanda Orange, Beefstake, Absinthe, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste and Delicious Tomatoes. Also, San Mazano, Opalka and Italian Tomato Tree tomatoes. Hot Peppers: Numex, Mariachi, Jalapeno, Pepperoncini, Cayenne and Hot Wax. Sweet Peppers: Chinese Red, Tollis Sweet, Tollis Sweet, Corni Di Toro, Keystone Giant, Sweet Spot and Sweet Banana. May try eggplant. It's a varied list but I like to plant extra Peppers and Tomatoes. One year I had tons of Tomatoes and Peppers. One of my gardening friends grows great greens...so we traded a lot of our excesses or luck. I usually do good with Peppers, Beans, Squash, Plum tomatoes and strawberries. Hopefully, the weather will be favorable and no repeat of the likes of Hurricane Katrina storms. I hope to save some seed for trading later.

• beavis
    13 years ago

I am seeing some impressive lists here, make me justify planting and planning even more this year in my own garden.

• tonythegardener
    13 years ago

Interesting differences in what is grown in various parts of the world.
    This is my grow list - very northern European.

American land cress

Apple mint (already planted)

Bay (already planted)

Beetroot 'Boltardy'

Brussels Sprout 'Trafalgar'

Broad Bean (already planted)

Broccoli 'Red Arrow'

Blackberry 'Adrienne'

Blackcurrant (various already planted)

Blueberry (already planted) Fashion accessory but I was given it so I will try it.

Cabbage 'Stonehead' or 'Golden Acre'

Calabrese 'Green Sprouting'

Cauliflower (winter)

Carrot 'Flyaway'

Chamomile

Chicory 'Variegata Di Castelfranco'

Comfrey (already planted)

Courgette 'Parador'

Cucumber 'Burpless Tasty Green.'

Fennel Florence

French climbing bean 'Cobra'

Garlic (already planted)

Gooseberry 'Xania'

Grape (already planted)

Jerusalem artichoke (already planted)

Leek 'Musselburgh Improved'

Lemon Balm (already planted)

Lettuce 'Webb's Wonderful'

Mizuna

Okra 'Pure Luck'

Onion 'Ailisa Craig' (planted in seed tray 4/01/11)

Pea Early Onward

Parsnip 'White Gem'

Plum 'Victoria' (already planted)

Potato Kestrel

Pumpkin 'Big Max'

Radish 'Cherry Belle'

Rocket

Runner Bean 'Aintree'

Runner Bean 'Red Rum'

Rhubarb 'Champagne' (already planted)

Rhubarb Chard

Salsify

Scorzonera

Spinach 'Medania'

Squash

Strawberries 'Cambridge' mainly (already planted )

Swede 'Marian'

Sweet Cicerly (already planted)

Sweetcorn 'Two's Sweeter'

Tomato (not sure which variety yet)

Thyme (already planted)

I would like to try some Oca but 'The Real Seed Catalogue' has sold out. Might try a Yacon though.
    I remembered that I had lots of seeds in the shed and brought them home to go through them. I am not too sure how good they will be so I think that I will just keep them in reserve at the moment. I may just use them as a green manure, sowing them and then digging them in when they have developed a little.

The seed that I have already are.

÷ Chives

÷ French Bean Blue Lake

÷ Beetroot Wodan F1 Hybrid

÷ Beetroot Boltardy

÷ Onion Bedfordshire Champion . I think that I will plant these tomorrow in the same way as the Ailsa Craig.

÷ Broccoli Sprouting Redhead

÷ Broccoli Summer Purple Sprouting (Wok Brocc)

÷ Broad Bean Aquadulce Claudia

÷ Broad Bean BunyardâÂÂs Exhibition

÷ Nasturtium Tom Thumb

÷ Dwarf Bean Delinel

÷ Courgette Black Beauty

÷ Runner Bean Streamline

÷ Runner Bean White Apollo

÷ Carrot Royal Chantenay Red (Two packets)

÷ Carrot Early Nantes

÷ Spinach

÷ Cauliflower Chassiron F1 Hybrid

÷ ...

• boxgrowergurl
    13 years ago

I haven't quite decided what I am planting yet. But everyone gave me some great ideas! Thank you!!! I think I might actually try some melons this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: what to grow