SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sister_k

Another Lilac in Container Question

sister_k
15 years ago

Greetings! This is my 1st post on this forum. Thanks in advance for all the information and knowledge that is shared so generously here. I was reading another recent thread on lilac in container, and wasn't sure if it was best to post there or start a new thread and decided on the latter. I've also spent a lot of time on Al's posts for water movement in containers. Very educational and I will definitely be looking for ingredients so I can try Al's mix sometime soon.

I am quite new to gardening, and I don't have any ground to plant in (live in a condo), but I have a huge balcony & lots of containers. I have already learned so much since finding GardenWeb, and I think my plants will live much longer, healthier lives as a result! Anyway, I bought a common lilac about three weeks ago at Sears. I think I made the first mistake by bringing it indoors when the weather got cold -- it had green buds when I first bought it, but has since shot off all kinds of bushy green growth and has been inside about a week & a half now. (I've since learned that lilacs NEED cold to bloom and it probably should have been left outside to keep it's growth in check with the weather we're having.)

Anyway, I have read a bit here on repotting vs. potting up. I have gleaned that repotting involves cleaning/pruning the roots and potting up is mostly just moving to a larger container. (Of course, you all explain it better, but that's the gist as I understand it, right?) I think that earlier Al stated (or I inferred?) that a plant with this much new growth shouldn't be repotted because it's now actively growing and not dormant, and wouldn't be happy with a lot of manipulation/pruning of the roots.

However, this lilac is quite root bound. In the picture below, that is a 2 foot ruler for scale. I think this pot is a 1.7 gallon pot. Can anyone suggest what size pot this should go into -- I have several option including 5 & 10 gallon -- or would I need bigger? I think I understand that it should be a suitable container to last until next spring when it might need a repot (vs. potting up)?

Should I do anything at all to the roots when I pot it up NOW into a larger container? I think my potting mix downstairs is EKO brand without added fertilizer, and I already saw Al's recommendation on fertilizer for lilac in an earlier post.

Finally, after this next (little) snowstorm we're getting right now, I plan to try getting this lilac back outside onto my balcony, but I guess I will have to harden it off by moving it out for gradually longer periods of time. I wonder, should I have any expectation that this will have any blooms this year?

Thanks again for any advice you can potentially offer!

{{gwi:24310}}

{{gwi:24311}}

{{gwi:24312}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting