SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Mold actually IN the soil....?

How peculiar. I'm not sure what to make of it.
I had taken some shiso, arugula and one jalapeño plant and put it into a window box planted in 5-1-1 mix, with a bit of fish meal tossed in if I recall correctly.

It was too much sun for the arugula so I pulled those a week ago and transplanted elsewhere, but I simply tugged those out lightly. Today, I decided to move the shiso into its own pot so I DUG those out. (They're about 6 weeks?)

Anyway, to my surprise, shock and then horror -- I find a white mold of sorts growing INSIDE the soil. There was no evidence of such on the top of the soil or on the plants, and barring my shiso being a bit tougher than I had expected, growth has been fine, if not good. (Incidentally, that was also the reason I moved the arugula but attributed that to too much sun.)

Following this, I also pulled the jalapeño into its own pot and shook off as much of the old soil as I could for all of them.

Now I have this soil just drying out and pondering whether to toss, turn or what.

Anyone recognize what this mold is? Understanding there is such a thing as good mold, and given that it doesn't seem to have stunted growth any, I'm not sure what to think. Having used regular potting soil in the past, I never experienced mold IN the soil, though I have seen mold develop on top of the soil. Obviously, with standard potting soil, there wouldn't have been enough airspace for mold to really show itself this clearly.

I think the new root growth looks plenty healthy, so I'm at a loss. It was time to repot them all anyway, and they went into a new batch of a soil mix, but based on the same ingredients I used before...

Thoughts?
And considering these are edibles, should I be otherwise concerned?

Grace

Comments (14)