SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cygnus_x1

indoor seed sowing - first time

cygnus-x1
12 years ago

Greetings all,

(Zone 7b - 8a)

I have been doing a lot of homework on starting seedlings indoors. I have a small setup that fits nicely under one 48" light and I decided to go easy and use a bio-dome kit from Parks. I know I could have been more frugal but I heard good things about it and I wanted to limit the variables involved. I have broccoli, brussel sprout, kale, and eggplant seedlings growing already. Well not the kale, it is probably is out of date. Anyway they are about 12 days old and doing well. A little tall and leggy but okay. I know I need to thin them soon after the first true leaves appear which I don't think has happened yet. I have taken the dome off to reduce the humidity.

I am using a heating pad under the bio-domes and it seemed to work great. My main question is do I continue to use the heating pad from here on out ... like after I transplant the seedlings into small pots ? Also now that I have the domes off how far do I keep the lights above the plants ? I have heard anywhere from 1 inch to 6 inches.

thanks in advance

Comments (10)