SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvandegraaf

My first time with winter sowing! Newbie Questions!

kvandegraaf
16 years ago

This is my very first year with winter sowing and I have LOTS of questions. This forum is really terrific and has helped me so much already, so thanks to everyone in advance.

1. I'm pretty sure that I still have time to sow some things here in zone 6a/5b, but I want to double check. I'd like to sow some annuals and stuff like that tomorrow. Is this OK? Will it still work? The nights are still pretty cold, 30's most nights. Most of my seeds don't need cold periods, AFAIK.

2. I bought some stuff to make my own WS soil mix -- perlite, rotted cow manure, and sphagnum peat moss. Is there anything else I need? Is the cow manure ok? All equal ratios?

3 I bought some clear hard plastic containers -- shoe size and sweater size. I want to drill holes in the bottom of them. I also have heavy duty clear plastic draping that I can cut to size and tape over the boxes. I'm planning to poke some holes in the top with a screwdriver or something. Does this sound like it will work?

I have done a lot of reading and have seen a lot of posts that address some of this stuff, but I'm a little nervous and just need some reassurance. Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored