SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corrigan_gw

Another North/South or East/West Question

corrigan
16 years ago

I've read the other row orientation threads that I found, but I'm still not sure if I'm understanding everything, partly because I can't tell if everyone means the same thing I do when I say "north-south" or "east-west" lol. I'm in a new house so I get to start from scratch this year. I'm planning on trying slightly raised beds that are 3 or 4 x 8. When I say "north-south" I mean the two short ends would be facing north and south and the two long ends would be facing east and west. I assumed that's what everyone meant, until I talked to my husband about it, who automatically assumed everyone else meant the opposite.

So my question is how should I arrange the beds if I plan on having somewhere between 7 and 10 (eventually more) of them. I need to not have to plant the tallest things (tomatoes and okra) in the same bed every year, since I'm still new to gardening and had terrible disease problems the last two seasons. If I arranged them with the short sides facing east-west (so beds running east-west in my interpretation), wouldn't I always have to keep the taller plants in the same couple beds, so they'd always be to the north? If I arranged them with the short sides facing north-south (so beds running north-south in my interpretation) how do I determine how far away the beds need to be spaced to prevent taller things from shading shorter things to the east or west in the morning or afternoon, or does that matter at all?

Comments (3)