SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_yard_guy

Pine bark search

the_yard_guy
10 years ago

Good afternoon everyone. Haven't been on here in a while but good to be back.

Today I went to a few of the big box stores in my area looking for roofing materials. While there I took a quick look at the garden sections of each store for pine bark for use in both the gritty mix and 5-1-1 mix. I went to WalMart, Lowe's, Menard's, and Home Depot. I found nothing usable at any store.

WalMart and Home Depot had no pine bark of any kind. Nothing at all. Lowe's and Menard's had one or two types of pine bark, but much too large for any use in container gardening. The pieces were about 3"-4" in size. One garden center worker at Menard's told me that whatever I saw today is all that they were going to get this season.

What I did see everywhere were dozens and dozens of pallets of cypress and dyed sapwood mulch in 3 or 4 different colors. Every store had hundreds of bags of this stuff and the prices were as low as $2 or $3 per bag. I know we are not supposed to use cypress or the dyed sapwood in our containers but I've never seen so much of this stuff at every store. From what I saw today, cypress and the dyed sapwood mulch seem to be replacing pine bark at most of the stores in my area.

It's still early so maybe I will find pine bark at a specialty garden center this spring. From what i saw today the big box stores in my are won't be any help when it comes to supplying pine bark for the 5-1-1 or grit mix.

Thanks.

TYG

Comments (14)