SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iluvbotany4life

Trying to grow herbs, but the MOLD is winning, help?

iluvbotany4life
14 years ago

I got one of those herb growing kits that came with oregano, chives, parsley, and cilantro. I was a bit wary of using this kit because the containers you are supposed to use for each type of seed do not have drainage holes, but I tried it anyway. After about 5 days, the oregano has started to sprout, and it looks good, but the other 3 herbs have not sprouted yet, and more importantly, all 3 ungerminated containers have started to develop that white fluffy mold directly on top of the soil. I really don't want to lose the seeds so I don't really know how to kill the mold without accidently killing the seeds. I previously had the containers on a heating pad to help with germination, but I removed them from that since warmth encourages mold growth. I also have some organic fungicide which contains neem oil, and I sprayed some of this on a paper towel and lightly dabbed it on top of the soil. I don't know if that will hurt the seeds or not, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the mold, but allowing the seeds to still sprout?

Comments (3)