SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoeat_gw

Rookie gardener--need lots of help!!!

lovetoeat
14 years ago

I live in So. CA (Costa Mesa) and am starting with a brand new slate for a garden. We just moved into a ranch style home and we had everything ripped up and are starting fresh. The sod is laid with automatic sprinklers, but we have patches of dirt that I have intended to grow a garden. I love colors and low maintenance type plants/shrubs/trees. House faces direct WEST. I need advice on both front and back yard:

Front: Garden area will be against house roughly covering 7 ft by 25ft area. It gets direct sun in the afternoon as we face the west where the sun sets. House is a tan color with white trim. I would really love some low maintenance shrubs and some flowers that are colorful (blues, purples, yellows). Ideally, at least one or two small bushes that we can put near the windows for privacy (to deter anyone coming to the windows.

Backyard: We have a perimeter of 2 1/2 - 3 ft on our back yard that I want to have flowers. I will also plant some trees. I have two small children who are eager to also help me plant and take care of the flowers/plants. Neighbors have "silver sheen" trees, that I like. They stay short (less than 20ft tall) and do not shed during the different seasons. Also a tree where the roots don't grow crazy as we just redid all our hardscape in front/back and I don't need some crazy growing roots to uplift it in a few years :-). Also, I love palm trees (that was recommended by someone) but would like to keep the ranch style theme of our home.

I am completely new at this and have never planted anything in my life...ever. I buy plants, they die, so I need something EEeeasssy ...please :-) Also, I was told we have clay soil...not sure if that makes any difference whatsoever.

Tips on what plants/trees/bushes and anything else is so appreciated. I have checked this forum already, but to be honest, am really overwhelmed by the info and some of the lingo as I am just a rookie with the gardening stuff!

Comments (5)