SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxvillegardener

Squash: which ones are bushes, vines, climb trellises?

knoxvillegardener
14 years ago

My (very amateur) understanding is that some types of squash grow in a bush-like fashion, some spread out as vines, and some of the ones that spread out as vines will climb a trellis or other structure. (I heard that some vine-type squash aren't climbers.)

How do I tell which ones are bush-type, which are vine-type, and which vine-type squash are climbers?

Right now I'm planning my garden for this year and it would be a huge help to get this figured out.

I do know that squash fall into different types such as C. pepo, C. maxima and C. moschata. Does this have anything to do with it?

Are there any rules of thumb I can use? (For example, assuming that the squash are bush-type and not vines unless a description of them notes otherwise.)

Finally, a couple of different but related questions: Do the different types of squash vary a lot in terms of how much space the plant requires? (Assuming an apples-to-apples comparison such as two different bush types, not a bush type and a vine type.) Are there rules of thumb as to how to figure out how much space a particular type of squash requires? (Note that I plan to use raised beds rather than row cropping.)

Thanks for any info / guidance you can give!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County