SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blissfulchef_gw

Newbie, completely overwhelmed and plants arrive Monday

blissfulchef
13 years ago

The only thing I have ever grown with moderate success have been culinary herbs. This year, we decided to go for a complete edible garden. We eat almost completely organic and our food costs are crazy. We mainly shop at FM's in the spring, summer, and fall, but really want our own crops. I am chef, so we eat at home a lot, not to mention my little boys eat us out of house and home in the fruit and veggie dept. I am hoping to do most if not all in containers, as our home is for sale and if we move I want the option to take my fruits and veggies with me! I am completely overwhelmed by all the info I am coming across. Not to mention it is hard to read with a 2.5 and 5 yo running around!! Honestly, I am not even sure that I have ordered enough plants to sustain us all growing season, I got overwhelmed trying to figure that out too. My order was due yesterday at 6p, so I just started selecting crops we eat and I know we buy locally, figuring they grow in our zone. All plants are organic and from Sarah's Starts. I am looking for the best options, not expensive

to grow 6 Crimson sweet watermelon plants, 6 seascape everbearing strawberry plants, 1 black bell eggplant, 1 California Wonder Bell Pepper plant, 6 Straitneck Yellow Squash, 6 Sugar Baby Watermelons, 6 Zucchini, 1 Roma tomato plant, 6 moon and star watermelon plants, 1 King of the North Red bell pepper plant, 1 jalape�o pepper, 6 marketmore cucumber, 1 Gold Nugget cherry tomato plant, 1 gourmet orange bell pepper plant, 6 honeydew plants, 1 golden bell pepper plant, 1 cherry tomato, 1 Brandywine tomato, 1 big beef, 1 cabernet grape tomato, 3 celery, 6 evergreen bunching onion plants, 6 cantaloupe plants. I am also wondering with my herbs, cilantro, parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, spearmint, sweet basil x2, chives, and rosemary, should I plant each individually or can I group them. We would also like to grow some carrots, yellow onions, spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce, blackberries, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and sweet potatoes, just haven't figured out if we should start from seeds or starters. I am completely lost as where to start so we are prepared and have a successful growing season. We want to grow organically and I can't seem to find much info on that, it's all conflicting. Please help this newbie?!?!

Comments (3)