SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1956_gw

Need Help with fence/wall design or something....

annie1956
13 years ago

Hi all,

Never been to this side of the fence (normally over on the home forums). But we're having a bit of a design problem. DH & I put ALOT of time and $$ into our yard over the past 9 yrs trying to make it nice and keep it nice - especially this past year. We don't have a big front yard but what we have we want to look nice. Now the vent - we are on a rural residential county road about 7 miles long from one more traveled "major" road to another. Ours can get a bit of traffic since it is a straight run. Most of the houses are older farm type houses where no one really puts a lot of energy into their property. There are only a couple of houses that are as maintained as ours. (There are also a couple of farms along the way as well.) But - for some reason our house gets picked to be the one that people run over our grass or turn around in our driveway without a care as to our nice grass. (Or park on it to check out what the neighbor across has for sale in the summer time). Two summers ago our mailbox was batted down 3 times so we had to put up posts next to it. (yuck). We try to see if anyone else on the street looks disturbed but we don't see anything. Well, the last straw was this past weekend when someone went around the neighbors sign post, on our yard by 10 ft out to the street to miss out mailbox then back in over our grass by 8 ft then out across the drive. Good thing the yard is somewhat frozen but still - who know what damage there could be to sprinkler heads and you can still see the tire tracks. grrrrr

So we need some kind of barrier/fence - that looks nice but to deture (sp?) that kind of thing. We actually bought a new black mailbox with a black iron post a few weeks ago and were trying to think about some kind of new "posts" for along side of it that would look nice (can't take a chance and get rid of them).

So help us please. DH is thinking split rail I don't particularly like that. I'm thinking low. (Like 2 ft high). I'm not opposed to iron/metal but those don't come less than 36". Thought about white PVC Pickets Home Depot has that in 30" I think. I also was thinking the cinder block with the half stone facing? That I can make low. We're only going to do across the front - not sides. It's about 90'. Here's pics. They are both from about standing from the corner of the driveway. The fence would go about even with the mailbox along the front.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

(And we don't want to spend a ton of money of we can help it)

A

{{gwi:6912}}
{{gwi:6913}}

Comments (11)