SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyjchang

Al, advice about hydrogen peroxide, foliage pro, gritty mix

Ruby Chang
12 years ago

Hi Al and everyone,

I have recently transplanted all my plants into the Gritty Mix (about 3 month ago). It seems that they are all doing great! Especially my michelia alba, last month so many new growth were seen! However...recently it seems to be doing not so great, young leaves drop before they open, I pried a little bit of the gritty mix open and found that there is little bits of roots are brown (not mushy though?)...I hope it is not root rot! Doesn't old roots sometimes die? Especially if they are in the top layer of the Gritty Mix (which dries out sometimes?) The plant seems happy except the dropping of young leaves (but sometimes root rot plants appear healthy until it is extensive). I am furstrated because I thought I did so great with my first try at the Gritty Mix! I know Gritty Mix is wonderful!...

I have also been reading one of your post which stated that hydrogen peroxide if used in concentration of 1oz to a quart could help aerate the root. I know that the Gritty Mix is very very porous and great for aerating roots already. But more aeration couldn't hurt right? So to use hydrogen peroxide, I have a couple of questions.

1) Can you use hydrogen peroxide and foliage pro together when watering? Will the oxidizing effect affect the fertilizer?

2) If I use hydrogen peroxide every other week, will that negatively effect my plants? Since it is an unstable condition where the roots get oxygen one week and the next week not? (since peroxide decompose in 3-4 days). will that stress the plant, and instead foster bacteria growth? I really don't want the opposite effect.

3) Will using hydrogen peroxide cause a dependence of my plant? Where if I skipped hydrogen peroxide application for a month, and my plants do even worse?

Sorry for all that question! I greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thank you!

Ruby

Comments (4)