SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

What can you grow with Sunflowers?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I want to grow a lot of sunflowers next year. I haven't had success in the past. Varieties were not what I expected, they weren't in proportion to the rest of the plantings, the seed heads start tipping them over.

Any tips on how to have beautiful sunflowers? [g] Should I stake them? What kind of fertilizer and how much? Also I would like to grow something in front of them that will blend them into the garden, rather than having a 2ft border of plants in front of them...Some 3ft, 4ft plants that would go well with them. I was thinking of hollyhocks, but you have to wait two years for flowers. I considered growing a little corn in among the sunflowers, but I am thinking that would look messy and I wouldn't have room for a 3x3 block of corn so it could get pollinated anyway.

So I am stuck and would love some fresh ideas!

Thanks,

Adam

Comments (21)

• virgo91967
    18 years ago

Taller variety sunflowers should be staked, I would think, but you may have a bit of a time finding long enough poles... have you considered using dwarf varties of sunflowers such as 'Del Sol' or 'Dorado? They only get 5' tall, makes it easier to find plants to mix with them.

I have seen wonderful things done with climbing annuals and sunflowers ( bear in mind that legumes do not do will around sunflowers, so no sweetpeas or hyacinth beans)

Try mixing in different varieties of the shorter sunflowers in different colors... there is a rather striking red out on the market.

Think about the following annuals: Zinnias, Cosmos, Larkspur, delphinium, Annual Rudbeckia
    There are lots of annuals that would look good with sunflowers. I reccommend using the link below and do a little 'windows shopping'

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee Seeds Annuals

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanksa virgo..

I was thinking I will need to stake them. I will have to think about how to get the tall stakes..bamboo are sometimes that tall.

I didn't know hyacinth beans didn't do well with them.
    Yes, planting different heights of sunflower is great..and some of the zinnias now are pretty tall. Delphiniums grow in full sun? I will have to look up the annual rudbeckia..thanks..

and thanks for the link
    :-)
    Adam

• Related Discussions

Will this rooted sunflower be able to grow in soil?

Q

Comments (3)
    The process is not the same at all. Transplanting cuttings that have been rooted in water is completely different from seedlings that have been grown in soil. The root systems are entirely different, for one thing. Some plants will make the giant leap from water to soil in good shape, while others simply won't. Be sure that you provide a well-drained, porous soil and maybe even some staking for stability. Your cutting might need some 'security' until it develops a 'real' root system in the soil.
    ...See More

Growing sunflowers in a veggie garden

Q

Comments (26)
    Our native roadside sunflowers seeded in my tomato bed a few years back. I left it grow by accident (was a very busy summer) and realized there were NO tomato horn worms! I figured this for a fluke, so the next year I rotated the toms and transplanted a self-seeded sunflower. Aha! NO tomato worms! Now I always plant a native sunflower or three around the tomato bed. Self seeding is a problem, but they are easy to pull. The small city birds love the seeds in the fall. The woody stems make excellent plant stakes, cut to size, to hold up the heavy sweet peppers. Other plants don't really like to grow around the sunflower roots, but the tomatoes don't seem to care. Don't know if the named sunflower varieties would behave differently. I'm glad I discovered this property of our native sunflower 'weed'.
    ...See More

Growing Black Oil Sunflowers

Q

Comments (3)
    If I were back there (Branford) I'd have the seeds directly in the ground now. If weather was getting in the way of all that I'd germinate in the peat pellets. If weather was STILL in the way I'd put the pellets in cups with dirt once the roots started to get aggressive as the peat has no real nutritive value.
    ...See More

if you can grow fern, can you grow hosta in the same place

Q

Comments (21)
    Sally, I had the opposite experience. Most of the ferns I planted, even the ostrich fern died. 100% of the hosta I planted lived, even the one I whacked because I mistook it for a weed. Even the ostrich fern lived in the same spot for 3 years before spreading. There may be some factors in my area that favors the hosta. May be hosta do better than fern in alkaline soil. May be hosta have lower water requirements than ferns. I notice the death usually come when there is high heat and little water. Both the fern and hosta take it in the chin, but the hosta seems to take it better. Paul
    ...See More
  • virgo91967
    18 years ago

well, Sure, Adam, Delphiniums will work.. rember that the Sunflowers will most likely give them a fair bit of shade... as for stakes for your sunflowers.. try galvinzed electrical conduit.... Not the prettiest stuff in the world, but durable and stiff

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks virgo.. :-)
    I was wondering do the delphiniums and sunflowers bloom at different times? What annuals might be 3ft high and bloom at the same time, except for some form of rudbeckia?

Great idea on the conduit virgo..galvinized, huh? what about bamboo? Prettier, but pretty pricey.

adam

• wendeyzee
    18 years ago

Adam, I found 6ft, single bamboo poles at Job Lot for the last 2 yrs. I think March or April, also found 7ft. heavy duty poles in green plastic pkg of 10 but very pricey $25.00 or $30.00 at Home depot I bought them for staking tomatoes.
    Wendey

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Wendey :-)

Thanks for that tip..but where is Job Lot? I have never heard of that. I heard of Big Lots, is that the name? Yes everything I find seems to be pricey. I bought 6-10ft bamboo poles last year at Russell's in Wayland. I forget how much they were, but I know there was a little rolling of the eyes from my spouse when the bill came in. [g] They were great for what I used them for. I made tripods for two pots of climbing annuals and it was a nice focal point in an area that was very flat and uninteresting.

For the sunflowers I thought of HomeDepot for pieces of wood..like 2x2 size if they actually offer that size and get the longest length they offer and have my son cut them to the size I need and make points on the end. In the end it might cost as much as the bamboo and I think the bamboo is attractive and lasts outdoors in the elements better.

I might just try to do a little research later to see if there is a cheaper place to buy them.

Thanks for that idea...and will be interested in what Job Lot is.

ann

• wendeyzee
    18 years ago

Adam, I assumed Ocean State Job Lot was state wide but my DH informs me that 'the Ocean State is Rhode Island' so maybe they arn't located in your neighborhood :-( Sorry.
    Unfortunatley anything you buy at Home Depot is gonna cost.
    Wendey
    P. S May be you could make a trip to the Cape and buy lots of cheap poles and we could meet for lunch ;-)

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wendey you are full of good ideas..lol. I will have to
    remember that come the spring. That is too bad about Ocean State Job Lot not in our neck of the woods. But you have one on the Cape? What exactly is a Job Lot store?

BTW, I have another sunflower problem. I was just talking to someone who loves sunflowers but doesn't grow them. When I asked why, I was horrified when she said because of the squirrels. I have squirrels around my yard all the time. Does anyone have any idea how to keep the squirrels from ruining sunflowers?

thanks
    adam

• wendeyzee
    18 years ago

Adam, I've grown sunflowers for years nexy to my fence unbothered, mostly because of my very protective German Shepherd named Asta ;-)and do we have squirrels.

Job lot is like Big Lots. I've found some very great deals in gardening things there, last year they got some beautiful pottery all sizes for $4.00 to $10.00, of course I bought a bunch, than about a month later I saw the same pottery in a nursery for $30.00 I couldn't believe it, I swear they got it from job lot and marked it up, lol. I also bought A large, rich chocolate glazed planter $8.00 took it home and it is the exact color as my leather couch, everyone who sees it for the first time always says WOW where you get that pot! Last year they had some great garden stuff.
    Wendey

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wendey, ohhhh so that is how it is done..lol. Now I have to get a dog! [g] We haven't had a dog in years. Gee, it's too bad, we have a neighbor with a dog, but they are not near the area the sunflowers are going, different side of the yard. Come to think of it, I never notice them barking at the squirrels. The squirrels are visiting my part of the yard that is next to theirs and there is just a split rail fence between our yard and theirs. I haven't paid any attention to whether the squirrels are in their yard or not. They don't really garden, so I think the squirrels find a lot more to interest them in my yard. I also have a bird feeder. Does your dog actually chase the squirrels or bark at them, or is just his presence enough?

I haven't been to the Big Lots yet, but your store sounds great. It sounds like a Building 19 1/2. Good job shopping! I am hoping to find a few more containers next year, I will have to remember that. Your glazed planter sounds gorgeous! You are so lucky they are expensive if you don't find a good sale like that. Building 19 1/2 seems to try to get some gardening items in during the season every year too. You have to get there fast or they are gone.

Another place I picked up pots was at BJs once. That was pretty hit or miss though. I haven't seen them there on a regular basis.

Thanks Wendey. :-)
    adam

• wendeyzee
    18 years ago

Adam, Shes a great watch dog and yea she chases, barks and keeps a tight eye on things, I will try to post a pic later. She knows the word squirrel and goes into a fit barking and searching its funny, so now when we are talking about them we say "gray tail" I'm just wondering how long before she catches on to that one ;-)

I have read about some deterent stuff you can put around, I think it a predator urin and i'm not sure what form it takes they sell that stuff in the nurseries and online at places like "Gardens Alive"
    I think you should give the sunflowers a try, they might not bug them especially if you have feeders but I wouldn't place the flowers anywhere near the feeders, perhaps it easier for the squirrels to raid feeders!

I don't have a building 19 1/2 anywhere here that I know of, but trust me between Christmas tree shops and Job Lot I get my fill of bargains ;-)
    Best Wishes, Wendey

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Wendey,

I got such a great laugh from your account of your dog as 'squirrel watchdog'. It reminded me fondly of all the dogs we had in the past. They are a particular delight when they have a surprisingly large vocabulary. [g]

Thanks for the deterent tips..and will add it to the arsenal. I am sure I will give the sunflowers a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

ann

• virgo91967
    18 years ago

Hey Adam, A few points
    I have tried 2x2's as stakes in the garden before... you will have to use pressure treated and ( I may be mistaken) they may only come in eight foot lengths. Will probably work well.

Now for keeping squirrels out of the yard only sure fire way is not grow sunflowers Perhaps if you set out a more desirable food for them to eat. Squirrels are very smart and that makes it difficult to deter them from getting what they want.
    I would just learn to live with them.

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Adam,
    I thought Joe Pye Weed 'Gateway' 6' might be a nice combo mid August - Sept. As for the squirrels they sure are crafty bugers. I had a dozen mini pumpkins/gourds that I thought I had disposed of far enough into the woods for the smaller critters to have a winter snack and low and behold this weekend my yard was littered with hollowed out shells...(I have now named my squirrel Peter for "Peter Peter Pumpkin eater")the yard isn't looking very Christmasy. Katy

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks virgo for that info. So that is the right dimension 2x2,and they come that way and don't have to be cut lengthwise. I suppose 8ft would be a great height for most sunflowers, thanks for another good idea. :-)

I realize that squirrels are very smart. I wonder why that is? Why were 'they' made so smart? [g] They can't be smarter than people can they? I was watching Backyard Habitat on TV yesterday and they were helping to deerproof a yard. They mixed up onions/garlic/hot peppers and made a spray for some of the plants. I wondered why something like that wouldn't do the trick?

The Joe Pye Weed sounds like a great idea, and doesn't it bloom about the same time? Thanks Katy and virgo. :-)

Katy, I guess I shouldn't laugh about the pumpkins but can I grin a little? [g] That was very thoughtful of you to provide a snack for your friends, but I guess you didn't know what rude guests they are! So did they eat the pumpkin or did they just get the seeds out?

Katy I used those milk crates filled with leaves over the hydrangeas and now the snow is covering them over fine. So I hope we get more snow to cover over all the pumpkin carcasses in the yard. You could end up with yard art. [g]

I don't know, with all the squirrely stories I hear, I am starting to think Wendey has the right idea, a trained squirrel dog. :-)

adam

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Adam,
    My DH thinks that a squirrel is nothing more than a city rat wearing his country coat! Katy

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Adam,
    LOL...Dh says "Adam now thats just nutty".

Gateway is 4' and standard Joe Pye is 7'. I am winter sowing the standard, 'New York Iron Weed', and New England Asters'. If you would like some seed to do the same let me know. Katy

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Your DH has quite a sense of humor. It sounds like he keeps you in stitches at your house. [g]

Oh that is good to know about the difference in height. I did want the taller variety so that is what I have. I added some Ironweed last year and hope to buy started aster plants in the spring. I didn't know the asters would come true from seed?

Thanks for the offer of seed but I am all set for seed right now. I think. [g] It would seem that everyone is winter sowing this year. Are you looking for any particular seed, I can offer if I have it?

• franeli
    18 years ago

I've been thinking about Tithonias...Mexican Sunflower.
    'Torch' is to 6'
    'Fiesta del Sol' to 3' (I've seen photos somewhere here of these with VerbenaBonariensis)
    I plant the 'Italian White' sunflowers and also have Helianthus'LemonQueen'...a perennial.
    I have the sunflowers in my vegetable garden.
    Park's catalog has a Zinnias called 'Park's Picks...grows 4'.
    Nicotianas? the Sylvestris gets to 5'
    Cosmos?

• katnip_ct
    18 years ago

Last year, I grew Zinnias and Strawflowers right in front of my Sunflowers. Dwarf Dahlias mixed in with my returning Calendula in front of those. We have lots of Ocean State Job Lots here in Connecticut. Thank Goodness! As a matter of fact, I buy some of my Sunflower seeds there. Burpee's at 40% off. Maybe they have a website and you can find a store near to you.
    FYI - If you have any deer problems.... They LOVE those tasty Sunflower buds!! I take a bar of Irish Spring type soap, sliver off pieces with a knife and stick them RIGHT IN THE BUDS. I replace them after rain or whatever. It works! Previously I had a few years where I got up in the morning and had EVERY Sunflower bud chomped off! I also put slivers of soap on my hostas in the Spring and early summer. Another tasty treat for the deer I presume.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting