SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novicegardengal

front yard landscaping revamp - suggestions needed!

novicegardengal
13 years ago

Hello - My very first post to GardenWeb!

We've recently moved into a foreclosure home, and the front flower beds really require an overhaul. A first time homeowner, and an Ohioian transplant that doesnt know much about my new zone 9 surroundings... i'm fearful to take action because i dont want to regret my plant choices.

My biggest irritation is 'traveling mulch' with the lack of gutters (for the time being) rainfall fills the beds and allows mulch to float down the property. I would like to put in a ground cover in 1 isolated bed between the driveway and house, possibly with perrenial peanut. I also would like to plant mini/dwarf mondo grass on the border between driveway and walkways to keep mulch from creaping onto places it shouldnt be. Any low maint. unobtrusive vine type ideas as an alternative?

The plan is to outline the flower beds near the recovering grass line with stone to easily define the space while the grass takes time to refill dead zones.

The 2 larger flower beds need to be filled with some ornimental items. We have plenty of shrubs, and seasonal flowers are easy to select.... but the staples that will live through out the year is where i hit a road block.

I've included several photos at the following link, and would love to hear your suggestions!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51255180@N02/

Morning sun, with house facing East. Sand, and little of what i would consider soil down here. Irrigation isn't an issue as we have a system to keep things well watered.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)