SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerdew786

Getting Amaryllis flower through out the year

summerdew786
18 years ago

I have been reading all old postings of Amaryllis so thought of sharing my experiance with you.

We can get Amaryllis flowers all seasons because propagation and growing techniques have impoved, there are chemical formulations that can double and even triple the life of Amaryllis flower through scientific growing techniques.

I believe Amryllis bulbs can manipulated to flower when we needs them to through temperature treatment.Bulbs can be dormant through the extreme hot summer months, awaking through the cooler temperatures and can be dormant through extreme cold winter months, awaking through the cooler temperature.

The temperature is, for example, first raised to 24 C to imitate summers and us then dropped to 5C. The bulb remain in storage until they are planted. People spaces the planting of the manipulated bulbs. Thus able to get flowers each day over a period of many months.

When bulbs are planted , the soil temperature although still relatively low, is warmer than 5C so the bulb behave as if spring has arrived and accelerate it's growing pattern.

These temperature manipulated bulbs offer top quality blooms because they grow in weather conditions more similar to those of their natural habitats. They have bigger blooms and because they flower earlier they last longer.

In summer time it can also be enticed into flowering at times convienient to us. This is not done by forcing however quiet the opposite. The bulbs are also kept in cold rooms which fools them into thinking that it is still winter and therefore time to remain dormant. Once again the bulbs are brought out in weekly batches giving the non stop flowers.

Thanks

Ammar.

Comments (5)