SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hitexplanter

Plan to use Turface for first time any hints?

hitexplanter
17 years ago

I have grown lot of plants in containers over the last 20 years so I do know most of the issues involved. I have most of if not all the bark mix ready for use but also want to try some variations of same plantings. A fast growing petunia called Laura Bush for my control and study plantings. These are my base mix material I plan to use

1. Mix use the bark base only mix

2. Standard 70/30 peatmoss/perlite

3. A turface variation of both 1 and or 2

4. Lava sand variation of both 1 and or 2

5. A coco coir variation with with 1 and or 2 with lava sand

6. Same as 5 but with turface.

I am planning on mostly doing this for a spring thru summer project at this point.

Main objectives are growth and bloom quality with same fert regime. Decide what watering changes and adjustment will be required to go thru the cool (relative) of Spring to the intense heat of South Texas for summer.

Prior experience : Last year the Laura Bush petunia grew very fast and bloomed prolifically but was a chore to water every morning and night(during hottest part of summer). I want good drainage and air space but want to see if I can make a mix that holds more water without water logging. Hard to overwater in summer here but very easy with the wrong mix to keep too wet the rest of year.

Any thoughts or input to the concept would be appreciated.

I am still debating container size as well. I am looking to do this on my next day off the 26th of March. Thanks and

Happy Growing David

Comments (4)