SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

Need info on growing calibrachoa (Million Bells)

idixierose
18 years ago

When should calibrachoa be cut back? Or should the plant just be allowed to grow all season?

I planted four lush calibrachoa plants back in May at the edge of my raised rose beds. They grew well and were beautiful spilling over the edge of the brick wall. By mid-July, they were huge -- about 3-4' wide. Since the plants were still healthy and vigorous, I decided to give them a trim to keep them from becoming too overgrown. I was hoping to have the calibrachoa reinvigorated and looking great through the fall.

About a week after their haircuts, each plant began to lose leaves and look like it was dying.

I had this same experience the year before when I cut back some extremely overgrown, woody calibrachoa in hanging baskets. That, I could understand. I figured I'd let them go too long. I figured that it was probably better to cut them back before they became woody. Now I'm wishing I hadn't cut them at all.

Both times, the plants sulked after being cut back and died within 6 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a few in-depth articles about how to cultivate Calibrachoas, please.

I have read that calibrachoa are sensitive to being over watered and that they like sharp drainage and like to be on the dry side. So I purposefully planted my most recent calibrachoa along a brick wall at the edge of my rose garden. I watered the calibrachoa every other day until they became established, then I watered them less often. They grew happily until I cut them back.

Comments (15)