SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

nyc/queens area pine bark fines..sources

Okay.. I always feel bad for anyone in NYC area begging for a source of Pine Bark fines which are almost impossible to get ahold of. I tried a bunch of places on Long Island and Queens, etc..for the last year and a half and this is the best that I personally came up with.. and was very happy with it.. if anyone had better luck or a closer place.. feel free to let me know.. but if you're willing to take a drive.. it's findable (I asked my local home depot in Queens if they could ship PIne Bark Fines from their upstate stores to Queens and they said a definite "no") *Rolls eyes* Thanks. LOL

So... PINe Bark Fines can be found in Upstate HOme Depot stores.. just type in MUlch and PINe MUlch should be there (Timberline or another kind with purple bag shipped from Canada).. about $4.. I got mine an hour upstate in Mogegan Lake/Courtland Home Dept.. but if you choose a closer upstate store and type in mulch... they may have it.

I used Premier Spagnum peat 3 Cu. ft. also from Home Depot

And

I found something similiar to Turface.. but much more expensive at Hicks NUrsery on Long Island.. It's Espoma Soil Conditioner.. It runs $14ish for a cubic square foot, but at this point, I was there, it worked fantastically, so I was willing to shell out the $60 for 4 bags just to have everything.

So basically I mixed 2 and a half bags of pine mulch with 1 cubic foot of peat moss and 1-2 bags of Espoma Soil Conditioner, plus the lime and organic fertilizer (alfalfa meal type stuff) and it worked FANTASTICALLY last year.

HOpe that helps!! :)

Comments (4)