SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy1984_gw

Rookie Mistake - Bulb Drama

Amy1984
9 years ago

You guys! I'm a total gardening loser. Ugh. We just got our first house, and loved the idea of filling my beds with dadfidols and grape hyacinth (something to look forward to after these long Chicago winters). I incorrectly assumed that once the flowers died, I'd just immediately trim everything down to the base and plant annuals on top. So today, I put in 150 bulbs.

Well after some internet research, I see now that this can't be done because 1) you have to let the plants die back naturally, which can take six weeks post-bloom, and deal with the unsightly dying foliage, and 2) you can't plant on top of bulbs, because it damages them and they need to remain dry.

So now, I'm a at a loss of what to do. My beds will be gorgeous this spring, but then be an eyesore for six weeks, eventually turning into an empty bed for the remainder of the season. They are close together (the recommended 6-inches apart), so I can't plant annuals in between them or anything.

What do I do? Dig up the bulbs now and try to just plant a few clumps more strategically (this would be quite time-consuming as you'd imagine), or cut my losses and enjoy the spring flowers and think of them as "annuals" and move on with a different, wiser gardening plan in the summer?

Or is there something else I could do?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer