SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Containers & Pests: is this normal, or am I simply unsanitary?

michael_ames
12 years ago

I'm a novice gardener, here, so I fully expect things to fail.

But I've had success growing almost anything outside in containers; anything I try to keep inside (succulents, herbs, scallions) immediately gets infested with something. First whiteflies, then fungus gnats, now I've even found aphids indoors.

Am I committing some basic, fatal error - or do indoor plants generally need this kind of regular medical attention?

I wasn't able to recreate any of Al's mixes exactly, but did what I could to make the media in each pot as well-draining (and low in organic matter) as possible. (Mostly pine bark chips, with some coarse gravel and a small amount of well-draining potting soil.)

None of the plants see water more than once every 10 days, except the thyme, which seems to like it.

It's possible that the soil components weren't sanitary when I bought them, and I didn't bother to sterilize them in the oven. If that seems like a likely culprit, I can repot in a heat-treated mix.

When I lived in colder climes, I knew the dry, heated indoor air in winter was a problem - but here in California the heater is never on and the temps inside basically the same as out.

I suppose I could just move everything outdoors, but I was hoping to keep at least a few green things around the house.

Comments (7)