SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fmogul_gw

Getting the Drifts, or How Exactly to lay out bulbs

fmogul
17 years ago

Okay, I get it: groupings and drifts are the way to go. But everything I read is either vague about how to relate these clusters to existing perennials or seem to assume you're planting from scratch, on a blank canvas. All the photos I see have these vast swathes of bulbs in borders or large open areas or what have you, and I'm just not sure how they fit in my small confined space that already has these sub-beds of hostas, ferns, astilbes, corral bells, etc.

I've got a small, relatively immature perennial garden. It has a lot in it, but it also has a lot of open space for the perennials to expand. It's about 12' x 20' and sits in light shade in front of a brownstone.

So take, for example, the hosta in the corner. I want to plant some shade-tolerant daffodils or anemone or hyacinths around it, but how do I shape this drift? Where does it taper off? There's no obvious boundary (even if the astilbes or corral bells formed some kind of barrier, which they don't, they wouldn't be around yet for much of the spring, anyway.) Clearly, I don't want to create an obvious square/circular/triangular-shaped drift around the hosta, but what shape DO I want? I can picture blanketing the whole area, but even at this small size, that's not really an option.

Suggestions?!?

Thanks!

Fred

Comments (7)