SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

To Wick or not to Wick

richdelmo
17 years ago

IÂve been reading so much on the subject of container mixes, self watering containers, water wicking, wicking to lower the pwtÂÂ.So much that I think my brain needs a wick to absorb all of this information. This year IÂll be using for the first time 2 purchased Earthboxes, a few home made self watering containers, and many "regular" containers from past years. IÂm all set with the EB and self watering methods but have questions and or just looking for confirmation on my understanding on the use of regular containers. I very much understand there are many strong opinions on many topics on this forum so ultimately most decisions are your own after doing your homework. Anyway here goes.

Using regular containers with AlsÂs recommended mix ingredients:

1. The mix allows for good drainage so more frequent watering will be necessary, is top watering okay or would wick watering be the preferred method?

2. If wick watering: just place a good wick about half way up the container and have the bottom end lay in a water source that needs to be kept full. Correct or not?

3. To lower the perched water table place a good wick a few inches up in the soil via one of the drainage hole, can the end be touching the ground as long as itÂs not in a puddle or saturated area, or must it be completely free of the surface.

Using regular containers with good commercial mix:

4. Top watering is less appropriate so wick watering is best???

Comments (4)