SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jstover_gw

Results of late planting

jstover
15 years ago

I started a large home vegetable gardening project last year, but it took so long to finish the first, and largest (4' x 8.5'), raised planting bed that I didn't plant until mid-October. I put in lettuce from 6-packs that did well, and seed plantings of spinach, beets, carrots, broccoli and Brussels sprouts germinated, but are growing very slowly. I expected that the seed plantings would either not germinate, not survive the Fall/Winter temperature drop, or grow normally.

Although the spinach should have been first to harvest, it isn't ready yet, and the beets have grown the fastest. According to the time-to-harvest schedule on the package, I should have had beets to harvest by the end of December. They do have great-looking 6-inch high green tops; however, when I dug up a couple of the largest this week, I found that there were no beets, but only a long, thin (about 1/8 in. diam.) root on each plant. Is this a typical result of late planting, or is some other environmental condition at work here? Should I wait for beets to develop, or just pull them and eat the leaves? Any general recommendations on the other seed-planted veggies?

Comments (3)