SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Confused about timing Brussels sprouts

lizzie_nh
12 years ago

Hi all, I am on the border between Zones 4b and 5a (Central NH.) I'm obsessed with Brussels sprouts right now, and I want to try to grow them this upcoming season. I did some searching, and ordered Jade Cross seeds, which have gotten a lot of recommendations. But, I am a little confused about what would be the best timing for growing them in my zone. I'm seeing recommendations to start them indoors in winter and then put them out in the spring, when the ground is workable but there are still a couple frosts left, as they should mature in cool weather and the frost gives them a better flavor by converting starches to sugars.

I'm also seeing recommendations to start them at the end of the summer for a late fall or early winter harvest.

Is there anyone in my zone, or close to it, with experience growing these? What has worked for you? Of course I would like to have them to harvest this spring instead of waiting almost another year, but I don't want to do that if it's not going to work.

Any idea if this is a crop which would work with winter sowing, or do they just get too big too quickly?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!