SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Planning a border-starting with bulbs

All summer I have been digging ground and setting in perennials and annuals along walkways in front of my farmhouse. The initial border was made 75% from plants coming from 2 years of GW swap so it looks like a joyfully haphazard cottage garden style. I'd like to plan a border on the other side of the walkway and plan it out more carefully starting with bulbs.

What I'm wondering:

I have lots of chipmunks. I've heard about using screen, but how do you work that idea when you're adding perennials and annuals to that plan?

Do I need to match both sides of the sidewalk borders for esthetics or doesn't it matter? I'm going to rework things anyway due to the mishmash--but the already worked side gets more sun than the virgin side I'm planning.

What bulbs would look well planted in front of the various fragrant viburnums I've put in as part of the border?

Can all bulbs be successfully overplanted with either annuals or perennials or is it best just to plant around and screen the aging bulb foliage?

(I have about 8 feet deep by 70+ feet to work with that goes from high shade to part sun to full sun..)

Comments (2)