SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josko021

Transplanting corn and peas-corn-peas rotation

josko021
13 years ago

My wintertime dreams involve a peas-corn-peas rotation. Last year I picked up pea vines on 6/20, and I'm thinking about seeding corn inside and transplanting out. I only have room for 100 corn plants (5'x20'), so workload seems managable. I think soil is in good enough shape to support this, with perhaps a nitrogen side-dressing when corn goes in. Let's assume that April 10 to Nov 20 are frost-free.

But I hear that corn doesn't transplant well, and am wondering if anyone tried it. I could sow it inside under lights in 4" deep flats with a 3"x3" spacing but am wondering when to sow for a July 1 setting out. Or is this whole thing foolhardy wrt difficulty of transplanting?

On the fall end, getting peas in again by 8/15 might get a fall crop - it's worth a try, anyway. Does it make sense to think about sowing peas between corn with the plan of cutting down corn plants when peas get, say, 6" tall? Or, I suppose, as soon as the (last) ear (on each plant) is picked, the plant is cut off.

I know, I know, this is kind of intricate and expecting a lot of things to go right, but it would give me a lot of pleasure to pull something like this off.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County