SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenforroses

'Hardy' calla lilies

karenforroses
16 years ago

Since I don't have the right indoor temperature for storing calla lily bulbs, I usually toss them out at the end of the summer. I grow them in containers until late fall. Last fall, as I was cleaning out all my container pots, I decided"what the heck" and dug a 10" hole and dumped the bulbs in it, filled the hole with soil and tipped the empty pot over the top. I left it there all winter long. When I peeked under the pot in May there was nothing. "No surprise" I thought - what was I thinking, that Northern Michigan is Florida?" I don't know why, but I put the pot upside down over the spot again and ignored it until earlly June. Then I took the pot away for other plantings. Two weeks later, I was shocked (and delighted) to see a whole cluster of calla lily foliage coming up where I had planted them. They are now as big as the ones I started indoors this spring from bulbs - it will be interesting to see if they bloom as well. I don't know if it was the deeper planting, the upended pot, or our good snow cover, but something convinced these zone 9-10 bulbs that they were spending the winter in the South! I placed them in my cutting garden, which is in a low 'frost pocket', but it does get a good snow cover. In the same bed, I've had gladiolas and snapdragons come back up for 4 years in a row now. Maybe it's global warming.

Comments (5)