SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
care2adopt

Planning a massive garden... need advise

care2adopt
14 years ago

Hello all! My husband and I have been planning a garden for the front and sunny side of our house for some time now. There is absolutely nothing there at the moment, its been completely tilled and prepared and is waiting for new bulbs. We want to do a wide variety of bulbs, and after some careful consideration (or more like careful ellimation) we thought we would do a mixture of tulips, anemone, hyacinth, crocus, watsonia and ranunculus. I may also move over a few fans from my daylily garden. This is going to be a large garden, about 250 square feet. This is also the first time I have started from scratch and done a bulb garden- we have planted a few little tulip bulbs, canna lilies, elephant ears etc but this is by far the biggest undergoing I have planned. My question is, when planning a large garden like this, how many bulbs do you know to buy? Someone suggested that if I wanted to plant in little bunches with spaces in between so that they had room to grow and expand, that I should do roughly 1 bulb per square foot and group them together leaving plenty of space inbetween groupings.

So I have a 2 part question: Does my selection of flowers seem like a good fit to create a "wild field of flowers" look? And, how do I know how many bulbs to buy??

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)