SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brickza

Tuning self watering container mix wetness(perlite, vermiculite?)

brickza
14 years ago

Hi,

I've been wondering about how to "tune" the mix for an SWC to make it wetter or drier. I've only seen one thread that seems to discuss this directly: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0815372312517.html, although (it may just be me) I can't seem to find a final conclusion/summary.

It seems that SWC mix needs to

1) be well aerated

2) wick well.

Below are some ideas I've picked up from googling, etc. I may be way off base, so I'd like to hear opinions/thoughts on the matter.

You can make the soil wetter by getting it to wick more, and also by adding more water retaining material to it. To make a mix wick better you can add perlite, which at the same time also aids aeration. Adding e.g. vermiculite will make the soil wetter, but would it reduce aeration?

If you want to make a "dry" mix, you could probably start with a very coarse mix (Al's Gritty?) and then add just enough perlite to make it wick.

You can also affect the wetness/dryness by changing the size of the wicking-basket opening. My suspicion is that this won't make any difference in the static case (i.e. very little or no water loss where the whole container will attain a constant wetness), but when plants/evaporation start drawing a lot a water, the larger opening will maintain wetness closer to the static case.

Now, I hope, interesting discussion will ensue :)

Regards

Neilen

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County