SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
east459

putting a seed starting system together using the SWC need help?

east459
15 years ago

i took the SWC idea and i am trying to adapt it to seed starting. i took 2 seed start trays and 1 tray insert ( all the insert was was from the burpee ultimate growing system a flat surface with little leg on it): one tray i used for holding the water. then i put the insert into that tray. i set another tray on top of the insert and drilled holes down through the insert and tray (that would hold the soil), so i could put a wicking basket in. my wicking basket believe it or not, is a plastic curler ( like the ones our gramma's use to use, to curl their hair). The wicking basket is 3 inches long by 1/2 inch in width and i only used one in the setup. what i'm still having problems with, is to much water is still getting into the soil. the soil level in the tray is 2 1/4 inches deep. the tray itself is 10 inches wide by 16 1/2 inches long and the tray holding the water is the same measurements. i have decreased my water level to an inch (i started with two inches). I really could use some input from those of you that use the SWC's.

East.

Comments (3)