SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

first timer planting daffodils...need help please!!! thanks!

taraleigh
15 years ago

Hi, I have no flower or planting experience, so I was wondering if someone could help answer a few questions.

I am considering planting daffodils next fall along a stone wall that gets a good deal of sun. I haven't measure it, but I believe it is about 30 feet long.

Would 100 daffodil bulbs be enough? Most of what i read says to plant the bulbs 5 inches apart... so if i do the math correctly 100 should be more than enough right?

Does size really matter (of bulbs of course:)? I am seeing some good prices at bloomingbulb.com but i noticed the bulb size is smaller . Many 12-14 cm in size. How does size of the bulb make a difference? Is it better to go bigger than this?

I would like something bold. I was thinking of doing dutch master trumpet daffodils, but then saw something called fortissimo which really looked beautiful and more interesting.

Does anyone have an opinion on which they like better? Does one tend to multiply more than the other? Does one tend to do better in the massachusetts area - zone 6? Any other suggestions?

I could get 100 fortissimo for 35 dollars with 12-14 cm bulbs (plus 10% off for being a new customer). I have also seen some at daffodildepot.com that are bigger bulbs (16cm) and are 60.00 for 100. Is it worth paying this much more for bigger bulbs? What will be the difference?

Thank you so much for helping a newbie and hopefully a longtime gardener.

Comments (4)