SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaiprice

sucess of my three orphan tiawan fig Bonsai

bonsaiprice
10 years ago

I'd reached a point where I realized I needed advise if my orphans were going to survive so I turned to the forum. Moochinka was kind enough to give me the information that I needed and a week later the little guys seem to be holding their own.
Following that good advice I first took them out of all that lava rock, small pebbles, sand and bark. After removing them from that enviroment I cleaned out each pot, reinstalled a narrower mesh grid over the drain holes, threaded new anchor wire ( Ace Hardware, 50' of 18 guage aluminum for less than $3.00) and mixed up a soil of 3 parts Miracle Grow potting mix and 1 part Miracle Grow perlite.
After situating each plant in the pot over a mound of soil under and around the roots, I secured the plant with anchor wire. With a throw away chop stick I worked the soil in and around the roots and expanded the reach of the roots in the pot. I finished of each repotting with a moderate watering (the perlite, it seems, takes the water to the roots) and let nature take its course.
I surfaced each repotting with Akasha natural course stone I got from Lowes. (4lb for $4.50)
Two of the repottings have significant seven stone arrangements.
Next step will be waiting for significant root, limb and leaf growth before I begin to train them. Thank you for the good advice. bonsaiprice

Comments (7)

Sponsored