SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_beth_gw

tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?

anna_beth
17 years ago

I have two questions regarding tulips:

1. when the bloom period is over, when should I stop watering them? I deadhead them but leave the foliage to die naturally - but what about water? I know they like it dry in the summer, but should I keep watering them when the bulbs are still feeding on the foliage, right until the foliage goes yellow and then dry, or should I stop watering immediately after deadheading them?

2. tulips for cut flower - is it better to leave as much foliage on the plant as possible to assure a bigger bulb for next year? I.e. if I cut a long-stemmed tulip and leave only one bottom leaf for the bulb to feed on, this means not enough food for the bulb and no chance of its returning?

My tulips are not species, and I know they probably will not return, but I want to conduct my own experiment. The ones I'd like to return are: fosteriana Flaming Purissima, lily-flowered Ballerina, Ballade, Claudia, Elegant Lady, Marilyn, and also Bleu Aimable, Ollioules, Dreaming Maid, Sorbet, Queen of Night, Angelique, Shirley, Arabian Mystery, Negrita, Apricot Beauty.

Comments (12)