SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

I'm confused...need expert advice - DAFFODILS

kimcoco
15 years ago

Please please help me with my questions. I have no idea what I'm doing!

I have a retaining wall that stands about 3 feet in height - wall faces east with a huge maple overhead, so this area gets little if any sun. I have pachysandra (japanese spurge) planted at the base of my wall as a groundcover.

I want to plant bulbs this coming fall in the pachysandra at the base of the wall to add some color - I know nothing about planting bulbs (as a matter of fact, I just planted three daylily bulbs, and discovered after the fact that I planted them upside down!).

I want white and/or orange color variations with my landscaping/house. I've narrowed my choices down to daffodils and the candle flower (Arum Italicum). For Daffodils I found "Green Pearl" and "Felindre" varieties to my liking.

Not sure where to order my bulbs from online, but I came across vandycks.com - I looked up other sites mentioned here, but found some of those sites confusing, not user friendly and some didn't even provide pictures of what I was ordering. Anyone know anything about Vandycks.com???

I'm also confused about sun/shade requirements. Some sites say full shade while others say full sun. Which is it???

Are daffodils perennials or annuals???? What do I do with them at the end of the season? Do I have to pull the bulbs out and replant the following year?

I was also on oldhousegardens.com and of those varieties I especially liked the dickwellband, firetail, mary copeland, milan, pheasants eye, ornatus, seagull. They do not list the sun/shade requirements for ANY of their daffodils.

Does it matter which variety I choose? Are heirloom varieties better?

I have a rust colored front door, and I want to add some color to accent it (not detract from it).

Your expert advice and feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (10)