SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckybloom

Direct sowing cleome in area where poppies grow in spring

beckybloom
14 years ago

I have a large part of an even larger bed where beautiful orange poppies come up every spring. For the eight years that I have lived here, every June as the poppy foliage dies back, cleome would come up and would be in gorgeous bloom by mid to late July. These two plants provided a very nice curbside view to my garden. Two years ago we had parts of this bed re-landscaped (should have done it myself but I was just getting interested in gardening at that point)and the cleome must have been disturbed because it has not come back well ever since. I would like to get it re-established but after doing some research, I am confused about the timing and specifics of direct sowing this specific seed. If I direct sow in the fall, won't the seedlings come up and be destroyed by frost before they can produce seed for re-seeding (hence, no plants in 2010)? And if I direct sow early next spring, I have a bed full of emerging poppy foliage in the way. I know this can work becasue somehow the previous owners of this house did so. Any ideas? Thank you

Comments (6)