SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glchen

Do bulbs survive after cut flowers?

glchen
15 years ago

This is my first year growing flowers from bulbs(or rhizomes, etc). Some of my flowers have come up already and others are looking really nice. I have been picking some of the flowers, and cutting them to bring inside the house in vases. My question is whether the bulbs will still survive to bloom again next year after I have cut the stem like this? I think some of the flowers like daffodils or even irises, I have tried to leave as much of the foliage on as possible, so hopefully these will survive until next year. I have read that you should let the foliage die down, so that the bulb will get as much energy as possible for next year. However, some of the other flowers (at least right now), like lilies, it seems as if when you cut the stem, you basically have to take most of the leaves too. And I'd like to cut a reasonable amount of the stems so they look good in vases and not just a couple of inches. Here are the flowers that I have (some have already finished blooming): daffodils, irises, tulips, lilies, callas, glads, delphinium, cannas, dahlias, crinium, peonies, tree peonies. Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz